Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Where I'm Coming From

Before I start my blog for today, just wanted to mention again that I got started writing by creating a Yahoo! Group, "A Thought for Today" (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thoughtfortoday/). So if you are interested in taking a look at any of my past posts, you will find them archived there.

I also should mention that my blogs will most often be drawn from my studies, and I am usually involved in multiple studies at any one time. Currently I am involved in:
  • My life long study through the Bible, using a book called "Study the Scriptures." This book takes you through the Bible in three years (if you are consistent, and do one study every day - which I don't). I began using this study guide back in the early 80's and still find it a great tool. Rather than a devotional, it gives you a portion of Scripture to read and then asks you about 3 questions, which you are encouraged to write out your answers to. I think that after the work of Holy Spirit and the Bible itself, I would credit this as the thing that has most impacted my knowledge and understanding of the Word of God.
  • Experiencing God is a study I am working through as part of an amazing group of Christians. This is one of those Bible Study groups that everyone longs to be a part of, but is such a rare thing to find.
  • Experiencing the Spirit. Because of the impact that the Experiencing God study is having on my life, I wanted to get this book by the same author and take the same approach to Holy Spirit. I am doing this study on my own.
  • Bad Girls of the Bible is a book I am reading for our Women's group. Over the summer, rather than the usual type of Bible Study, we are doing a Book Club, which we will be starting in a couple weeks. As I will be facilitating the group, I have already begun reading through the book to prepare.
  • My wonderful friend, Leanne, and I are also doing a study. She had read a book and seen a video regarding the Kingdom of God and wanted to dig deeper. Leanne and I are such good friends. And when it comes to studying God's Word, we have the same hunger and the same desire to handle it properly, so we make great study partners.
Anyway, as I blog my way into your life, these are some of the sources that you will see coming up over and over. Of course my blog will also probably include my general and personal ramblings on about my life 'cause that is also something that is very important to me. LOL! But I wanted to let you know this so that as I seem to switch from one topic to another, you will understand where that is coming from.

Love,
Ev



One thing have I desired and that will I seek, that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life to behold the beauty of the Lord and to enquire in His tablernacle. Psalm 27:4

No comments:

Post a Comment