Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Dilemma

I desire so much to be an exhorter and an encourager to the body of Christ. I long to call myself and my brothers and sisters into the deep end of the pool, so to speak. Sometimes it seems that we are all so comfortable with our safe concepts of God and what He will and will not ask us to do. And, I feel such a need to say, "Wait a minute! Excuse me! God is NOT safe, but He is GOOD."

When I look at the Bible, I don't really see God calling His people to safe, sane, comfortable actions in His name. I do see Him calling them to step out in faith to part the sea, to heal the lame, to raise the dead, to stop and start the rain. When and why did God stop calling on his people to do these things?

OK, I say that I desire to be that exhorter and encourager. However, when it comes down to it, I want to be accepted. I want to be thought well of. I don't want to "turn people off" by my enthusiasm and my extremism.

Perhaps the faith that God wants me to exercise is the faith to say what I really think and believe without regard for how it will or won't be accepted. And without always being so afraid that I will say things in the wrong way, that I will hurt someone's feelings, or that I might say something a little too strongly and offend someone.

But I don't want to offend anyone, especially those I really love and respect and look up to. Well, maybe it is all just a case of my being overly emotional. I do happen to be a little off balance emotionally right now. Maybe it is better to be quiet and listen.

Ev



One thing have I desired and that will I seek, that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life to behold the beauty of the Lord and to enquire in His tablernacle. Psalm 27:4

No comments:

Post a Comment