Monday, August 31, 2009

Firm Until the End

For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end. Hebrews 3:14

But I have this against you that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place -- unless you repent. Revelation 2:4-5



This reminds me, as I read the passage in Hebrews a few mornings ago, that it isn't all about how you start, it is about continuing, it is about finishing well.

It can be easy in the rush of emotion and joy to start well. Our hearts are so full of love, faith, and joy in our salvation. But we then have a choice. Will we continue on stoking the fire of our passion for Christ, or will we get pulled back into the life of doubt, self, and distraction, where our love and faith begin to die. It is a daily choice.

Hebrews 3:13 tells us to "encourage one another, day after day." We are not only to be concerned with our own heart's condition, but we are to be concerned for one another as well. We need each other; we need to be there for one another. I love God's model for the church. The interdependence He built into the design keeps us together and helps us to stand.

As I run the race of faith, I keep my eye fixed on the goal, and I remain aware of the runners all around me. But unlike the runners in the world's "rat race," who are aware of one another so they can best plan on how to overtake and leave each other in the dust, I consciously choose to watch my brothers and sisters to yell out encouragement, to help one who has fallen, or to get one who is running in the wrong direction reoriented to the finish line. That is my ideal of a race. I love it! Not being solely focused on getting to the finish line first, not being set on outdoing everyone else, not worried about being the best. Rather a race in which every runner runs while helping every other runner along the way. I love the idea of a race in which the goal is not to finish first, but rather to finish well.

(Oops, I got off the subject. LOL!! Which I often do.)

Where are you today? Do you still have that same passion, faith, and joy you started with when you first met Jesus Christ? If not, how can I help you to refocus, refresh, and re-energize your heart with His love and His faithfulness? How can I help you to get back onto the track and into the race? Let's finish this thing strong, together. Let our last lap be as determined and exciting as the first.

Love,
Ev


One thing have I desired and that will I seek, that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life to behold the beauty of the Lord and to enquire in His tablernacle. Psalm 27:4

No comments:

Post a Comment