Wednesday, October 10, 2018

On my way home last night, I heard the following verse: "And in the 39th year of his reign, Asa became diseased in his feet, and his malady was severe; yet in his disease he did not seek the Lord, but the physicians. 2 Chron. 16:12

Now before you get upset with me, I am not advocating the avoidance of all doctors!!

But it spoke to me of how often I neglect seeking the Lords help in my needs. I know that I am so slow to turn to God. I have this sense that whatever the issue is, it's my own fault, my sin, my lack of self-control, my carelessness, and so on and so forth. I think, if it is my fault, my failure, how can I ask the Lord to help me?

But isn't that exactly the point. I am weak! Maybe the lie is NOT that "I can't do it." It isn't that it is an excuse I use because I'm too lazy. Maybe the lie is "I am strong enough, I don't need God's help. I just need to try harder, exercise more self-control, want it more, stop being lazy."

I am not advocating that we treat God like a genie in a bottle. I don't want to just sit back and have Him solve all my problems while I eat grapes. But neither do I want to deny the weakness of my flesh and refuse to ask, seek, or knock from either pride or shame.

I want to trust the Lord God to show/tell me what I need to do even as He responds to my prayers as He sees fit.

I just felt that the verse above was one more reminder to ASK for my needs rather than just seeking man-made remedies, self-control, doctors, wise-men/wise-women, etc. Doesn't mean I won't go to the doctor, but that I will perhaps put more emphasis on seeking the Lord first and foremost in all things.

Love and blessings -- Evelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment