Monday, May 16, 2016

Authority

Luke 7:1-17

I was looking at the characteristics of the centurion's approach to Jesus this morning.  And my first thoughts were of his faith in Jesus' ability and his humility in the way in which he asked Jesus to heal his servant.  Then I took that to my relationship with Jesus and with God the Father.

I guess I have never really had the sense that I can "boldly" declare or "claim" God's answers to my prayers.  Although I know that I am His child and a member of His household, I still consider it an awesome thing to ask God for things.  I am not saying that I question His love or care for me, but rather that I just believe He is in control and He knows what is best in every situation.

And yet, I am probably still much too careless and cavalier in my dealings with Him.  It can be a struggle to find that place in my relationship with Him where faith-filled expectation that He will provide meets the humble recognition that He is my great and might Lord and God over all creation and over me/my life.  I don't want to get to the point that I begin to see Him as the safe and snuggly 'dad' I have wrapped around my little finger.

And going back to yesterday, I see this as another area for my digging deep to remove all my cultural and personal prejudices as to how one should relate to 'father' to find that place of intimacy/love/trust/acceptance and honor/respect/awe/obedience.

I was so very blessed to have had a father (earthly father) with whom I developed such a loving relationship.  I always felt so accepted and loved.  And yet, he had earned such loving respect, which began as a sort of awe/fear and deepened into a longing to live to please him because I loved him so much.

This passage of scripture shows Jesus' great love and compassion for people.  He was moved by the faith of men, moved by the grief and loss of a mother's heart.  He is not at all the sort of god we often see in this world who rules and judges from a distance.  Rather, Jesus reveals to us that God is personal, loving, caring, feeling and sympathetic.  He feels our pain; He knows our sorrows and fears; He truly loves us.

It also reveals His unique authority in all creation.  I think the centurion recognized that Jesus was not performing some magical 'faith healing,' but rather that He was carrying/wielding a power and authority above and beyond all that this world had seen.  It wasn't 'prayer' or request for healing; not some type of medical treatment that would hopefully overcome the disease; this was authoritative intervention in the laws of 'nature,' in any spiritual hierarchy, and in the very nature of physical reality.  Jesus didn't give it a try; He didn't have a decent win/loss ratio; His authority was complete and unlimited by time and space.  Even death itself had no power to stand or to hold a life where Jesus called that life to rise.

But perhaps when I look at that authority, I need to see more to it than the answers to my prayers, my help in times of trouble.

I am thinking that I need to recognize that the same authority that calls forth life from death rules in and over me and my life.  God is not a genie or a powerful servant to do my bidding, meet my needs, answer my calls.  On the contrary, He is my LORD, whom I am to serve with loving respect, humility and obedience.  It is as my Lord that He not only rules over my life, but He also provides for my needs.

My concept of who God is has been so pitiful and self centered.  I have lived so selfishly and rebelliously, never considering His will for my life.  My desire is to better recognize His authority over all things, especially over my life.  And I pray that He will forgive me, discipline and train me to do all His good will, to be obedient and respectful of all that He is!    In Jesus' Name

No comments:

Post a Comment